Translate

Thursday 27 August 2015

No Line Colouring Tutorial.



Hello,

I'm back with a step by step tutorial on colouring with no lines. I'm not going to tell you this is an easy thing to do because it's not easy but it's not uber hard either. I am no expert on no line colouring but it was recently suggested to me that I do a no line colouring and because its been a long time since my last one I wasn't feeling comfortable about it so I thought I'd do a practice run using 'Steampunk Gift' first and although it's not perfect it turned out alright.



steampunk-gift 1_result


Then it was onto 'Christmas Eve Countdown' I haven't even coloured this awesome image with lines so I'm not sure what I was thinking lol. I thought it might be easy to take photo's as I went with this image so I could look back and see where the 'lines' were.

Christmas Eve Countdown Card_result

I have put all the photo's onto a collage and numbered them so you don't have to scroll down too much :) with corresponding explanations for each one underneath the pic.

Christmas Eve Countdown Collage 1

Follow this LINK to Zoe's video on how to create the 'No Line' technique in Microsoft word or if using a rubber stamp use a really light coloured ink like Memento - London Fog.

1. To start the colouring I chose to outline the figure and focus on the sky using only one marker which was B37 being very careful not to go over any 'lines'.

2. Then using my new Kirarina WiNK white pen I dotted in some snow falling.

3. I thought I would do the skin and beard next, for his skin I started with YR0000 to dampen the paper then YR000, 00 & 01 to build form in the skin and E04 for his lips. For his beard I used N00 all over and flicked N1 & N2 to create texture.

4. For his hat I used R24 outlining where the darker parts of the hat were then going over the same places with R27 leaving quite a lot of 'white' for the highlighted areas, then R89 in the darkest spots followed by R39 to soften the R89 then over the entire hat with R27. For the 'white' fluffy bits I dotted C1 & C3.

5. Gold! To get the gold effect I used both Copic Markers and Kaszazz Alcohol Markers because I like that combination but I'm sure with whatever medium you use you could get a similar effect. Colouring the watch was the trickiest part because there is so much detail. I used Y13, A1205, A7406 & N8 for the 'glass' part of the goggles. When I finished the image I went back to the watch with a gold metallic and warm grey polychromos pencil to try and add in some of the details.

6. For the Red Jacket I followed the same procedure as with the hat in step 4.

7. On to his pant's and top, I thought I go for a denim look using my Kaszazz Markers, A657, A646 & A2955.

8. Then for his boots and Belt I used N3, 5 & 7. Breaking this image up into individual sections was a great help because I think if I just coloured randomly it would've been more difficult to see where things went.

9. Santa's Bag, I chose to use my YG90's for this as I think it suits the steampunk look. YG 93 to wet the paper then built up the shape of the bag using curved strokes with my marker getting darker as I went. YG95, YG97 & YG99. For the rope I used E55 for the base then put little lines on the rope using E57.

10. Bricks/Chimney. Firstly I coloured the 'mortar' with E27 then the 'bricks' with E21 then dotted the texture of the bricks with E23 and E25. In hindsight I probably should've gone over the whole area with E21 then do the 'mortar' as it would've been easier than going around each brick.

11. The Snow was done with little dots, using C00 as a base on the paper the dotting with C1, 3, 5 & 6.

12. The final touch up, I felt the 'snow was too dark so using a white polycromos pencil I lightened it off by going over the whole snow area. I added detail in the gold area as mentioned above and to create a bit more depth I used a grey and a warm grey pencil to add some shadows.

Then placed the image quite simply on a card.

So that's how I did this 'No Line' colouring I hope you have found this helpful and I would love to see lots of No Line coulourings from you guys in the near future.

Andrea xx

P.S. I almost forgot something that I found very useful was to have the image open on my laptop screen with 'normal' lines to use as a guide :)

No comments:

Post a Comment